Contractors and Home Owners, for your convenience, effective October 1, 2015 the Town of Adams Building Inspections Department has joined the Berkshire County online permitting system for the submittal of applications for residential and commercial building permits, sheet metal permits, mechanical permits, plumbing and gas permits, electrical permits, and sign and tent permits. This service is currently available for NEW AND REGISTERED USERS online at http://permiteyes.com/berkshire/user_login.asp.
Please note that paper permit applications will continue to be accepted until January 1, 2016 at which time online applications will become mandatory.
If you do not own a computer or if you need assistance using a computer, both are available. A computer station terminal is located on the Third Floor of the Adams Town Hall in the Building Inspectors Office at 8 Park Street. Administrative Assistant Pam Gerry or Building Commissioner Don Torrico will be available to assist you with any issues.
The Building Inspectors Office is open Monday–Wednesday 8:30 am - 5:00pm and Thursday 8:30 am - 6:00 pm. Additional public use computers are available at the Adams Free Library.
Why Register an Account?
Applicants who create an account (which takes under 5 minutes) have the following benefits while using the system:
- Your personal information (CSL Number, Address, Contact Information) will auto fill on your application directly from your account.
- You have the ability to track review progress including approvals from other departments such as Planning, Conservation, or Public Works.
- Applications can be edited prior to issuance if the inspectors are in need of additional information.
- Attachments can be added to the application.
- Inspection results can be viewed.
- You will have the ability to communicate with the inspectors directly through the system for ease of clarifying information and asking project related questions.
- Contractors that register with the system can use the system to manage all projects across communities in the Berkshires that have adopted the system.
- You will be able to track all permitting history including which permits remain open requiring final inspections or completed.
How to Register?
1) Pop up blockers: Pop up blockers in windows must be shutoff. Microsoft Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox are the preferable internet browser’s to use with this permit software.
2) Point your browser to http://permiteyes.com/berkshire/user_login.asp. Note: If you are already registered with the Full Circle Technologies, Inc. Berkshire Online Permit System for another city or town in Berkshire County, you do not have to create a new user id. You may log on using your existing id.
3) Apply for a permit as a Registered User or a New User
I’m registered, how do I apply for a permit?
1) Click on New Application located at the upper left hand side of the home page form.
2) Choose your street from the drop down menu.
3) Choose your street number from the pull down menu.
4) Select the appropriate permit application from the dropdown menu. Residential permit applications are for one and two family dwellings, town houses and accessory uses (swimming pool, utility shed, gazebo, fence etc.). Commercial permit applications are for all other residential work, (multi-family dwelling, lodging facilities, hotels, motels etc.) and for all commercial work.
5) The Use Group for 1 & 2 Family Dwellings is currently; R 3 and almost always, the Construction Type is: V B.
6) For certain types of permit applications you will be prompted to submit an attachment. After you submit your application, a page appears notifying you that your New Preliminary Application has been received. Click on the exit button at the bottom of the page, and it will return to the home page. Select your permit by clicking in circle in the column heading “A” … on the far left side of the home page. On the far right of the page under the heading, “My Options”, click on the dropdown menu. Click on “add attachments” and follow the prompts to add site plans, drawings and documents etc. If for some reason you cannot complete the attachment you will be able to submit paper copies of plans, specifications, and other necessary information. Please contact Pam Gerry at firstname.lastname@example.org or Don Torrico at email@example.com to coordinate such a submittal.
7) Payments: Town Staff will calculate the fee on your project for you. You will be notified through the system shortly after your permit is applied for of the fee. The fee may be paid through the system with a credit card or via electronic check. Also we will still accept check or cash either by mail or walk in at 8 Park Street, Adams, MA 01220. If paying in this manner please note the address and assigned permit application number on your check. Please note that your permit will not be issued and approved until the correct fee is received.
The Housing and Building Inspection Services provides inspection and administrative services in connection with the enforcement and interpretation of Chapter 4 "Buildings", Adams Town Code and Related Bylaws; 780CMR, 8th Edition, "Massachusetts State Building Code" and other applicable codes relating to building construction, design, alteration, occupancy, and safety; State Sanitary Code enforcement, Zoning Bylaw enforcement and all other related work as required.