The Adams Free Library, located on Park Street at McKinley Square, was built in 1897 as a Civil War Memorial. Its cornerstone was laid by President William McKinley, who also placed a time capsule under it, containing items of the day. In 1997, the Town celebrated the centennial of this building with a variety of activities, including celebrations, performances, and tours of the building. The library houses an extensive collection of books, magazines, newspapers, audio books, music compact discs and video cassettes. The newspaper collection, stored on microfilm, dates back to 1844. A genealogical collection is used extensively, including the New England
Historical and Genealogical Register, the set of Mayflower descendants, and other genealogical information. The library utilizes an automated circulation system. This computerized system allows patrons to search for a certain book and display its status: if it is on the shelf or when it is due back if it is currently out. It allows the librarians to access lists of a patron's borrowed books, overdue books, and reserved items as well as providing an accurate count of circulation with detailed statistics. The library is a member of the Western Regional Public Library System, which allows for an inter-library loan program through which books and materials not owned by the library may be borrowed from other participating libraries. An annual summer reading club is offered for children, and story hours throughout the year are provided to interest children in books and reading. The building is fully accessible to the disabled.
Mondays & Fridays - 9:00am -- 6:00pm
Tuesdays & Thursdays - 12:00pm -- 8:00pm
Wednesdays - 9:00am -- 4:00pm
Saturdays (between Sept. 15th & June 15th) - 9:00am -- 12:00pm